Pasta with Fresh Artichokes and Lemon
- Coarse salt
- 3+ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Cups chopped onion
- 3 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8-10 Fresh artichokes, trimmed to hearts, chokes removed, and sliced thinly
- 1 Pound penne or rigatoni pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice (plus more to taste)
- 1/3 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Freshly grated parmesan or Romano cheese
1. Boil a large pot of salted water. In a large skillet, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir in onions, artichokes, and a pinch or two of salt. Sauté over medium-low heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add in a little more oil if the mixture gets too dry.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package’s direction. When the pasta is just al dente, reserve and set aside about 1 cup of the cooking water before straining.
3. Melt butter in pot. Add lemon juice to butter and stir for a few seconds before adding penne and vegetables. Stir well to combine, adding a tablespoon or two of reserved pasta water at a time to thicken the sauce. Immediately transfer to serving bowls, sprinkle with cheese and serve.