Slow cooked Lamb Curry
900 g Diced Lamb
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 large Onion finely sliced
2 cloves Garlic finely diced
2 Tomatoes chopped
1.5 tsp Ground Turmeric
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 Cardamom crushed
2 inch Fresh Ginger cut into thin batons
1.5 tsp Ground Coriander
1.5 tsp Chilli Powder
1 small Chilli very thinly sliced
1 tbsp Fresh Coriander roughly torn
2 tbsp Natural Yogurt
- Place the lamb into a large bowl and drizzle with a little oil.
- In a separate bowl add all the spices and chilli then add the lamb to the spices. The oil will help the spices to adhere to the meat.
- Leave for 20 minutes and then fry off the lamb in batches on a large frying pan until all of the meat has been browned evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Transfer the meat to a large casserole dish or slow cooker.
- Next, in the same pan, fry off the onions and garlic and stir frequently until softened and well browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and a cup of water.
- Pour into the meat mixture and just add enough water to reach the surface of the meat.
- If using a casserole dish, place the lid on top and place in the preheated oven for 3 – 4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- To finish, add a spoonful of yogurt and some fresh coriander to serve.
- Check the seasoning and serve with some basmati rice.